|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|Bumble Bee collecting nectar and pollen :)|
Unlike the honey bee the humble bumble is gentle and slow.
The bumble is round and furry. In fact there are three kinds of bumble bee, the large Queen, the smaller imperfectly formed female worker bee and the tiny male or drone bee. (I am not sure which one is at the photo:))
All are seen at different times of year. ( This one was shot in early August)
Only the Queen and the worker bees have a sting.
IMPORTANT FACTS TO KNOW ABOUT BUMBLE BEES.
* Because they live in small nests bumble bees never swarm - so you can encourage a nest or two in the garden without fear of this happening.
* Bumble bees do not produce enough honey for commercial use, just a few grams at a time to feed their young
* Not all bumble bees have a sting. Drones (smaller male bees that hatch in mid summer ) have no sting at all.
* A bumble bees biggest enemy by far is a man armed with a pesticide spray. Like every other form of wildlife they are under serious threat from the chemicals we pour on the land.
* Bumble bees are much less aggressive than honey bees. Generally they will not attack a human at all, unless their life is under threat. Don't wave your arms wildly in their presence, stand quietly and once they smell you are not a flower with pollen they will move gently away.
* Bumble bees do not lose their sting and die if they use it, as a honey bee will.
Preparing this note the main source of information was " The Humble Bee " by F.W.L.Sladen , reprinted by the Logaston Press in 1989. ISBN 0 9510242 3 X.
priyasri_80, captainsgirl has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
Nice shot. The color of the flower has showed the bee very well.
- [2006-08-25 10:14]
excellent macro composition with a wonderful POV. Superp sharpness and excellent DOF. The pollen's grains and the points of the seedhead are very nice detail. Sharpness, colors and lighting is superp.
wow!! now THATS a close up!! That little bee is making a mess of himself with all the pollen! too funny! Nice shot!
Nice shot. Good sharpness.
Excelente registro; impressionante a riqueza de detalhes. Macrofotografia perfeita: composição, cromatismo, enfim.