The Ionian Emperor
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
Thaleropis ionia, (Eversmann, 1851)
The Ionian Emperor
Turkish Name: Anadolu Şehzadesi Kelebeği
Distribution in Turkey: Aegean and Western Mediterranean, Eastern Mediterranean, Central Anatolia, Northeastern Anatolia, East Anatolia, Southeast Anatolia.
Distribution in the world: Turkey, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Iran and Northern Iraq.
Living Area: Habitat of Thaleropis ionia, rocky slopes with sparse Quercus, Celtis, Acer, Crataegus trees and river and stream valleys, open forest at elevations between sea level and about 2.500 meters according to locality.
Flight time: One generation or in two flying in June-late September, depending on altitude.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: Food plants of the caterpillars, are reportedly mainly Celtis toumefortii, though willows-(Salix spp.) have also been mentioned
Description-Notes: Typical locality, Turkey, Amasya ("Amasia"). Local and rare. Relatively small for brushfoot. Identified by its protrudet forewing apex, four small white forewing supapical spots, two rounded brown spots within forewing cell that sit on top one another, and a median band of rounded brown spots on hindwing. Note the silvery white hindwing basal area below and a dark brown bar that extends from leading margin to hindwing center.
Origin of the name: Ionia (historical and toponymic) - a historical region in Asia Minor.
Wingspan: 35-50 mm long.
• Freyer's Purple Emperor – Apatura metis, (Freyer, 1829)
• Lesser Purple Emperor – Apatura ilia, ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
• Purple Emperor – Apatura iris, (Linnaeus, 1758)
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul.116 pp.
2. Lepiforum.de : http://www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl?Thaleropis_Ionia
3. Lepidoptera Caucasi : http://www.babochki-kavkaza.ru/index.php/nymphalidae/204-thaleropis-ionia-/168--thaleropis-ionia.html
4. Moths and Butterflies of Europe : http://www.leps.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/ThaleIonia.htm
5. Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey : http://www.trakel.org/kelebekler/[email protected]&tur=Anadolu%20%C5%9Eehzadesi
6. Butterflies Watching & Photography Society in Turkey : http://www.adamerkelebek.org/IcerikDetay.asp?IcerikKatId=3&TurId=247
marius-secan, CeltickRanger, Hotelcalifornia has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
Lovely colorful specie indeed. Excellent details. As usual a perfect image with amazing clarity and focus. I like the contrast against the green blurry background.
- [2016-01-16 9:55]
Hi Seyfi,nothing is common in your gallery and this is another magniifcent surprise.A very rare butterfly in a lovely composition and impressive sharpness despite the difficult location between the flowers,i like it! Have a nice Sunday and thanks,Luciano
Excellent macro of this butterfly, fine POV at its level,
excellent focus, sharpness, and details, TFS
Very nice macro shot of this butterfly. Lovely color. Sharp and nice composition. Well done!!
- [2016-01-17 12:20]
A very attractive butterfly with beautiful markings and colors. Nicely focused showing good detail. Looks great against the dark green BG. Exposure is right on the money. Well done!!
What an exotic species of Butterfly, Seyfi!
The lateral point of view gives a clear impression of the colours on the wings.
- [2016-01-25 5:00]
Very nice shot of a beautiful butterfly.Fantastic contrast against the green background.
Beautiful butterfly; The Lonian Emperor. Very nice captured against beautiful BG. As usual eye catching composition.
Thanks for sharing,