|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
Polyommatus eros,(Ochsenheimer, 1808)
The Eros Blue
Turkish Name: Çokgözlü Eros Kelebeği.
Distribution in Turkey: Northeast Anatolia.
Distribution in the world: In the Alps and Pyrenees, the Apennines and Balkans, in NorthWest and Central Asia.
Living Area: It inhabits mountain meadows subalpine and alpine zone between 1500 and 3000 meters.
Damp and rocky mountain slopes.
Flight time: For one generation a year. Mid-July to Mid-August at higher altitudes.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: Caterpillars feed on Oxytropis and probably milk-vetches , Oxytropis campestris, hibernating in symbiosis with ants (Formica lemani, Myrmica galliennii).
Description-Notes: Type locality : Alps and Pyrenees. Local and rather rare butterfly. They have a very restricted range. It is certainly a species of high altitude. Bright metallic blue wings of male lacks violet hue of common blue and has wider black borders and darkened veins; note the black marginal spots on hindwing. Almost identical to Cammon Blue, but ground color is obviously darker gray-brown. Female is like Cammon Blue, but usually lacks blue suffusion.
Wingspan: 26 – 28 mm. long.
The origin of the name: Eros – Έρωτας -. Deity and incarnation of sensual love. Eros was the Greek god of love, son of Aphrodite and either Ares or Hermes. Eros Is also called Cupid, Erotas. The Roman name for Eros is cupid.
Endangerment factors: Polyommatus eros, has been already extirpated in many lower sites due to excessive mountain agriculture, reforestation and tourism facilities.
• Common Blue - Polyommatus icarus, (Rottemburg, 1775)
• False Eros Blue – Polyommatus eroides, (Frivaldszky, 1835)
• Taygetos Blue – Polyommatus menelaos, (Kurentzov, 1970)
• Phalakron Blue – Polyommatus andriconus, (Coustis et Chavalas, 1995)
• Blue Argus - Aricia anteros, (Freyer, 1838)
• Escher's Blue - Polyommatus escheri, (Hübner, )
• Chapman's Blue - Polyommatus thersites, (Cantener, 1834)
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul.94 pp.
2. Lepidoptera Caucasi : >>http://www.babochki-kavkaza.ru/index.php/lycaenidae-/89-polyommatus-eros-/155--polyommatus-eros.html
3. EuroButterflies »Matt Rowling : >> http://www.eurobutterflies.com/sp/eros.php
4. Butterflies Watching & Photography Society in Turkey :>> http://www.adamerkelebek.org/GozlemFoto.asp?Durum=7&FamilyaId=7&CinsId=34&TurID=366
5. Lepiforum.de :>> http://www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl?Polyommatus_Eros
6. Wolfgang Wagner:>> http://www.pyrgus.de/Polyommatus_eros_en.html
7. Butterflies of France:>> http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html/Polyommatus%20eros.htm
8. Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey :>> http://www.trakel.org/kelebekler/[email protected]&tur=%C3%87okg%C3%B6zl%C3%BC%20Eros
9. Moths and Butterflies of Europe: >>http://www.leps.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/PolyoEros.htm
iti, peter_stoeckl, CeltickRanger, marius-secan has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
Ciao Seyfi, great macro of lovely small butterfly, very rare in my counyry, fine details, splendid sharpnrss and wonderful natural colors, very well done, my friend, ciao Silvio
- [2016-04-14 10:50]
Excellent macro in superb sharpness and details. Beautiful colors, great DOF, low POV and composition.
une magnifique photo.
Bon rendu des couleurs, des dessins et des détails
- [2016-04-14 11:38]
Hi Seyfi,fantastic capture of this rare polyommatus,great light so well exposed and very bright colors and details,have a nice evening and thanks,Luciano
Beautiful work; nice low POV with splendid details and color. Perfect BG for Butterfly. Nice presentation...
Thanks and regards,
- [2016-04-14 17:37]
A fantastic close up image of this gorgeous Eros Blue. The framing is great and you managed to capture excellent focus of entire butterfly. The color tones are natural and the exposure is right on the mark. I love the attractive and colorful markings of these tiny butterflies. Well done!!
great shot with good sharpness and beautiful colours
i like this shot with the waterside
- [2016-04-17 8:36]
A very nice close-up of this butterfly. Amazing colors with nice composition and sharpness details.
brilliantly clear capture of the Eros Blue drinking water, taken in the hard sun of summer in the mountains with perfect details and amazingly well managed natural colours - so nice to be so close and on eye to eye level with Çokgözlü Eros Kelebeği. Thank you!
With best regards,
Excellent macro of this butterfly, with fine POV, beautiful light,
excellent focus, sharpness, details, and contrast, TFS
A wonderful image with a splendid specie of butterfly. I like the razor sharp details of his hairy wings. The details are amazing.