<< Previous Next >>

Poison Oak


Poison Oak
Photo Information
Copyright: Gary Larsen (gelarsen) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Silver Note Writer [C: 24 W: 46 N: 33] (124)
Genre: Plants
Medium: Color
Date Taken: 2009-04-18
Categories: Flowers
Camera: Nikon D70, Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG AF, B+W 82mm 010 UV-Haze
Exposure: f/11, 1/60 seconds
Photo Version: Original Version
Theme(s): Wild Flowers and Plants [view contributor(s)]
Date Submitted: 2009-05-03 9:14
Viewed: 7098
Points: 2
[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note
Poison Oak (Toxicodendron diversilobum)is from the Anacardiaceae (Sumac Family). This is a plant to be avoided since contact can cause a severe dermatitis in most people. The poison oak sap binds to the skin within about 15-30 minutes of contact, but can be washed off with soap and water before then. The first symptom of poison oak allergy is severe itching, followed by inflammation and blisters. A few people develop extreme allergic reactions that include swelling of the eyes and require emergency treatment.

There are three leaflets per leaf: glossy red green in spring when young, shiny green and dark in summer, red in autumn. It can be found everywhere in California below the 5,000 ft. elevation.

"Leaves of three, let them be".

tuslaw has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
Add Critique [Critiquing Guidelines] 
Only registered TrekNature members may write critiques.
Discussions
None
You must be logged in to start a discussion.

Critiques [Translate]

  • Great 
  • tuslaw Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2754 W: 282 N: 4931] (19883)
  • [2009-05-03 18:22]

Great shot Gary,
You post a crystal clear image of poison Oak!! Wonderfully composed with excellent exposure and very natural colors!! TFS.
Ron

Calibration Check
















0123456789ABCDEF