|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
Turanana endymion, (Freyer, )
Anatolian Odd-spot Blue
Turkish Name: Anadolu Turanmavisi Kelebeği
Distribution in Turkey: Aegean and Western Mediterranean, Eastern Mediterranean, Central Anatolia, Eastern Anatolia.
Distribution in the world: Greece, Asia Minor, the Middle East, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran.
Living Area: An altitude of 1000-3000 meters. It inhabits the arid mountain slopes with pillows acantholimons (Acantholimon spp.)
Flight time: Mid-June to late July; up to a month later at higher altitudes.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: Caterpillars, Acantholimon spp- Prickly thrift plants are fed up with.
Description-Notes: Typical localities : Amasya-Turkey. A tiny species of extreme interest. They fly very close to the ground and at a distance of more than a meter or two they disappear completely. Male is deep violet-blue with wide black borders and discoidal bars on both wings; female is dark brown. Counting from costal margin, fourth bold black spot in forewing postmedian band is displaced towards outer margin,and hindwing submarginal band contains an orange spot near anal angle.
-A species complex that is still being sorted out. A recent investigation suggests that Turanana endimion occurs in Asia and populations in Greece may belong to a very similar spicies Turanana taygetica. Informed that in Turkey Turanana taygetica occurs roughly from Nigde west to Sultan Mauntains in Afyon, while more easterly populatins are Turanana endymion.
Wingspan: 25-32 mm long.
• Small Desert Blue - Lachides galba, (Lederer, 1855)
• Indian Grass Blue - Zizeeria karsandra, (Moore, 1865)
• Jewel Blue - Chilades trochylus, (Freyer, 1845)
• Persian Odd-spot Blue - Turanana cytis, (Christoph, 1877)
• Greek Odd Spot Blue - Turanana taygetica, (Rebel, 1902)
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul.62 pp.
2. Moths and Butterflies: Europe and North Africa - Anatolian Odd-spot Blue
3. Trakel’s: Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey - Anatolian Odd-spot Blue
4. AdaMerOs Kelebek’s: Butterflies Watching & Photography Society in Turkey - Anatolian Odd-spot Blue
5. Lepiforum.de: Help for determining the proven European butterfly species - Anatolian Odd-spot Blue
6. EuroButterflies : Matt Rowlings's European Butterflies Species Page – Anatolian Odd-spot Blue
7. Babochki-kavkaza’s: Lepidoptera Caucasi - Anatolian Odd-spot Blue
marius-secan, Hotelcalifornia has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
Nice flower and butterfly too. This is a very nice specie. The image are amazing. Sharp details and excellent WB.
Thanks for sharing such a lovely and clear image. It is a very bad weather in my region, it rains every day, many villages are flooded.
Ciao Seyfi, great macro of lovely butterfly on beautiful blurry BG, fine details, splendid sharpness and wonderful natural colors, very well done, my friend, ciao Silvio
The background color tones with the light
and the subject itself are rendering
wonderful this photo, with fine POV,
excellent focus, sharpness, and details, TFS
- [2014-05-17 12:12]
Fevkalâde zarif ve etkili bir sunum, Seyfi bey, .. renklerin ve detayların zenginliği büyülüyor.
顏色鮮豔華麗 色澤真是漂亮 很新奇
光線亮麗 花朵也很漂亮 非常的搭配
- [2014-05-18 5:29]
Joy is what your work is. Pure joy of living.
The macro is awesome, and minimalist, delicate composition. Congratulations, Seyfi!
- [2014-05-18 11:54]
Hi Seyfi,a new magnificent page of your gallery of wonders! Very very rare and caught in a spectacular quality,great details and colors and a magic light exposed in the best way,i like it! Have a nice week and thanks,Luciano
- [2014-05-18 12:20]
Another splendid macro of a butterfly in very beautiful light conditions and colours. Spectacular sharpness and details. Very nice background too. Excellent composition.
- [2014-07-14 23:55]
lively colors and exciting perching. The details are splendid as usual.
Very pleasant presentation.
Hello Seyfi-Another beautiful picture of Butterfly.Excellent pose and angle,from where we can see its under and upper portion of Wings.Splendid sharpness and details against such attractive BG.Thanks for sharing such nice picture with Useful NOTE.Regards-Srikumar