Essex Skipper (26)
Thymelicus lineolus, (Ochsenheimer, 1808)
Turkish Name: Siyah Antenli Zıpzıp Kelebeği
Distribution in Turkey: Turkey is anywhere.
Distribution in the world: Palearctic; Western Europe, Northern Europe, Central Europe, Eastern Europe, Southern Europe, North Africa, Central Asia, West Asia.
Living Area: Inhabits motley mountain meadows up to 2600 meters swampy shores of ponds, forest edges.
Flight time: One generation from Late May till August -early.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: Caterpillars, mainly grasses of genus Phleum- (Poaceae) plants are fed up with.
Description-Notes: Species is common. The bright orange-brown wings of this butterfly attract attention when it flies or arises. Similar to Small Skipper, but with a more squat appearence. Outher half of veins are dusted with dark scales, hence black borders look diffused.Male's stigma is narrow, short and straight . Underside of its antennal club is black (orange in Small Skipper).
Wingspan: 24-28 mm long.
• Small Skipper– Thymelicus sylvestris, (Poda, 1761)
• Lulworth Skipper - Pyrgus carthami, (Hübner,1813)
• Levantine Skipper – Thymelicus hyrax, (Lederer,1861)
• Large Skipper - Ochlodes sylvanus, (Esper, 1777)
• New Skipper– Thymelicus novus, (Reverdin,1916)
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul..192 pp.
2. Moths and Butterflies :Europe and North Africa - Essex Skipper
3. AdaMerOs Kelebek’s: Turkiye Kelebek Gozlemcileri - Essex Skipper
4. Trakel: Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey - Essex Skipper
5. Babochki-kavkaza’s: Lepidoptera Caucasi - Essex Skipper
6. EuroButterflies : Matt Rowlings's European Butterflies Species Page - Essex Skipper
7. UK Butterflies: UK Butterflies - Essex Skipper
8. Lepiforum.de: Help for determining the proven European butterfly species - Essex Skipper