Pale Clouded Yellow (16)
Colias hyale, (Linnaeus, 1758)
Pale Clouded Yellow
Turkish Name: Orman Azameti Kelebeği
Distribution in Turkey: Northeast Anatolia high altitudes.
Distribution in the world: Temperate Europe (Missing in Portugal, South Italy, the Balkans, Greece), West Russia to North Kazakhstan, South Siberia, Mongolia.
Living Area: Rough, flowery places and dry hillsides, roadsides, fields of alfalfa. The mountains rising up to 2,000 meters.
Flight time: Two or three generations per year. Mid June to mid-August.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: Clovers(Trifolium), vetches(Vicia), and other legumes(Fabaeceae) caterpillars fed.
Description-Notes: Type locality : Europe. Pale Clouded Yellow is a small butterfly of the "Family Pieridae". Rare butterfly in Turkey. This fast-flying butterfly. Very similar to Berger Clouded Yellow, but forewing apex is slightly more pointed.
Wingspan: 48-58 mm long.
The origin of the Latin name: Gia Lai (Greek mythology) - one of the nymphs of Diana, goddess of vegetation.
• Berger [Southern] Clouded Yellow – Colias alfacariensis, (Ribbe, 1905)
• Eastern Pale Clouded Yellow – Colias erate, (Esper, 1805)
• Clouded [Dark] Yellow – Colias croceus, (Fourcroy, 1785)
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul.40 pp.
2. Babochki-kavkaza’s: Lepidoptera Caucasi – Pale Clouded Yellow
3. Trakel’s: Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey – Pale Clouded Yellow
4. AdaMerOs Kelebek’s: Butterflies Watching & Photography Society in Turkey – Pale Clouded Yellow
5. Butterflies of France : Butterflies of France – Pale Clouded Yellow
6. Lepiforum.de: Help for determining the proven European butterfly species – Pale Clouded Yellow
7. UK Butterflies: UK Butterflies – Pale Clouded Yellow
8. EuroButterflies : Matt Rowlings's European Butterflies Species Page – Pale Clouded Yellow
9. Moths and Butterflies: Europe and North Africa – Pale Clouded Yellow
10. Heiner Ziegler: Species Page – Pale Clouded Yellow