The Mountain Small White (24)
Pieris ergane, (Geyer, )
The Mountain Small White
Turkish Name: Dağ Beyazmeleği Kelebeği
Distribution in Turkey: Widespread in eastern Turkey; thinly distributed elsewhere, and extremely local Marmara and Aegean regions.
Distribution in the world: Pieris ergane occurs in Europe only very locally. Northern Spain, Southern France, Central Italy, Balkan Peninsula, Turkey, the Near East, Armenia to Iran.
Living Area: Above sea level, lives at altitudes of 1300-2500 meters. Dry grassy and bushy slopes, warm rocky places particularly on calcareous substrate, only in the hottest parts of the country also elsewhere.
Flight time: Three generations from late April to early-September.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: Caterpillars, feeding on plants and develop mainly Aethionema sp. and Isatis (Brassicaceae).
Description-Notes: A midsize butterfly. This butterfly very similar to Pieris Napi spring generation. Identify this species by absence of any black spots on underside of its forewing (all other similar whites have one or two black spots) and somewhat square black forewing apical mark. Generally looks whiter below than other similar whites.
Wingspan: 38-44 mm long.
Origin of the name: Ergane (Greek mythology) - Erg ("employee") - the nickname Athens, patroness of crafts (Nekrutenko, 1990).
• Southern Small White– Pieris mannii (Mayer, 1851)
• Green-veined White– Pieris napi (Linnaeus, 1758)
• Small White– Pieris rapae (Linnaeus, 1758)
• Bowden's Small White– Pieris (Artogeia) bowdeni (Eitschberger, 1984)
• Mountain Green-veined White– Pieris bryoniae (Hübner, )
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul.26 pp.
2. EuroButterflies : Matt Rowlings's European Butterflies Species Page – Mountain Green-veined White
3. Moths and Butterflies: Europe and North Africa - Mountain Green-veined White
4. AdaMerOs Kelebek’s: The Butterflies Monitoring & Photography Society in Turkey - Mountain Green-veined White
5. Lepiforum.de: Help for determining the proven European butterfly species - Mountain Green-veined White
6. Babochki-kavkaza’s: Lepidoptera Caucasi - Mountain Green-veined White
7. Butterflies of Bulgaria: Butterflies of Bulgaria - Mountain Green-veined White
8. Trakel: Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey - Mountain Green-veined White
9. Wolfgang Wagner: Lepidoptera and their ecology – Mountain Green-veined White